LCSO Crime Prevention Deputies are required to achieve the designation of "Florida Crime Prevention Practitioner" by completing core courses offered through the Florida Attorney General's Crime Prevention Training Institute (FCPTI). They must also achieve and maintain current Instructor Certification status. Deputies in the unit are active members of the Florida Crime Prevention Association (FCPA), serve on various planning boards and local business associations.
The Leon County Sheriff's Office Crime Prevention Unit offers various programs such as:
- Personal Safety,
- Neighborhood Crime Watch,
- Home Security,
- Commercial Security,
- Homeland Security,
- Child Lures,
- Auto Theft, Senior Citizens,
- Citizen's Academy,
- McGruff Puppet,
- Halloween Safety,
- Operation I.D.,
- Child I.D.,
- Role of the Deputy,
- Vacation Tips,
- Fraud and Con Games, and
- North Florida Fair Displays.
An example of one of the Crime Prevention Unit's programs is the Citizen's Academy. The Academy is a ten week program open to the public where 30 individuals who have applied for admission to the Academy are chosen at random and spend three hours one night per week in either a classroom lecture environment or a "hands-on" field training exercise. These classes range from tours of the Jail and Courthouse to a SWAT demonstration at the Law Enforcement Academy.
These programs are presented free of charge to individuals, community groups, businesses and organizations. To make an appointment for a program call the CPU at 606-3331.
Crime Prevention Programs
- Crime Watch: This program educates and assists the public through the formation of new, or the revitalization of older Crime Watch Programs throughout the community.
- Personal Safety: The unit conducts personal safety programs throughout the County as well as some programs for out of town agencies.
- Home Security: The unit can perform a detailed survey of your home and suggest measures you can take to make your home more safe and secure.
- Commercial Security: The unit can perform a detailed survey of your business and suggest measures you can take to make your safer and secure.
- Robbery: Especially designed for retail store operations, banks and other businesses to help them from being victims of robbery. Several tips and what one can do to help reduce the chances of being robbed and what to do if robbed.
- Fraud: Working in conjunction with the Big Bend Fraud and Forgery Task Force, our Crime Prevention Unit is involved in an annual Fraud Workshop offered to area merchants.
- Child Safety Programs: Including McGruff , Child Lures, Halloween Safety and other programs related to child safety.
For more information on these programs and other programs, please call (850) 606-3323 or e-mail us at email@example.com.