The Internal Affairs (IA) detectives are Fact Finders that review and investigate complaints and allegations, in order to establish and maintain the confidence of the citizens of Leon County. These detectives protect the integrity and rights of agency members and protect the public from inappropriate behavior by members of the Leon County Sheriff's Office.
IA detectives investigate the following:
- Inmate deaths (with the Persons Unit).
- Inmate escapes.
- Allegations of corruption and perjury.
- Gross misconduct.
- Allegations of the use of excessive force or brutality.
- Use of lethal force.
- Violations of civil rights.
- Incidents requiring investigations that are lengthy, time consuming, involve multiple divisions/sections or when investigative resources are unavailable.
- Sexual harassment.
- Harassment in the work place.
- All other administrative investigations assigned by the Sheriff.