The Leon County Sheriff's Office (LCSO) encourages community interest and involvement in the law enforcement process and allows citizens to ride as passenger observers in Sheriff's vehicles. These rides will last anywhere from four to ten hours and can be requested two times per calendar month per person.
Rides will be offered daily (Monday through Sunday) and start at one of the below times. Arrival at the LCSO at 2825 Municipal Way, Tallahassee, FL 32304, is required 30 minutes before the ride. It is recommended to call or email one business day before you would like to ride to ensure appropriate availability.
Arrival Time Ride Time
4:30 AM ET* 5:00 AM ET *
6:30 AM ET* 7:00 AM ET*
3:30 PM ET 4:00 PM ET
5:30 PM ET* 6:00 PM ET*
Note: If you arrive at any time other than 3:30 PM, the LCSO main lobby will be closed. Please be advised you will need to click on the buzzer to the right of the main entry door. Someone will be out momentarily to welcome you.
Ride Along Requirements
- Be at least 18 years of age (except LCSO Explorers) and
- Pass a background/criminal history check and
- Review Criminal Justice Information Services (CJIS) Security Awareness Training.
Certain ride exclusions are listed below, which comply with General Order 16.4.
Ride Along Disqualifications
- Subject of an active criminal investigation or prosecution.
- Convicted of a felony.
- Convicted of a misdemeanor involving perjury or a false statement.
- Charged with a felony in the past five years.
- Previously baker acted.
- Show up emitting an odor of an alcoholic beverage or appearing to be under the influence of controlled substances.
To request a ride-along, email LCSORideAlong@leoncountyfl.gov or call (850) 606-3300. Please include your preferred date and time to ride.
Anyone requesting a ride-along affiliated with a media outlet need to contact Public Information Officer, Angela Green. She can be reached at email@example.com or (850) 756-6001.
Day of Your Ride Along:
- Come dressed in pants, closed-toe shoes, and comfortable shirt. (Not permitted attire includes shorts, tee-shirts, flip flops, heels, ripped jeans, or overly revealing clothing.)
- Arrive at LCSO 30 minutes before the ride (refer to the above times).
- Have your driver’s license or identification card.
- Complete and sign a Release of Liability, Waiver, Indemnifications, and Security Awareness Acknowledgement Form.
If you arrive for a ride-along and do not pass a background check that day, you will not be permitted to ride. Also, some rides may be suspended or canceled due to hazardous operational circumstances, including riots, storms, etc.
Riding with a Sheriff Deputy
- You will be prohibited from assisting in criminal interrogations, chasing fleeing subjects, or physical confrontations involving arrests.
- You will not exit the vehicle except upon specific instructions from the Deputy with whom you are riding.
- You must not carry firearms, regardless of weapons permit possession. Exemptions include sworn law enforcement officers with jurisdiction in Leon County after notification and approval by the Leon County Sheriff’s Office Ride Along Supervisor.